Saturday, October 31, 2015

Meteor breakup over Tucson

Heading off to the airport this morning at 5:18 a.m. I watched two bright lights in the southwest sky moving to the southeast.   The front light was orangish and the rear one yellow.     They were moving faster than planes normally do which is when I realized the pair were meteorites on the same path.  Probably one meteorite that broke up as it entered the atmosphere.

But they were moving slower than most meteorites that I've seen.   Normally the little ones I see leave a brief streak and are gone.  Not this pair.   I kept thinking that if they really are meteorites, they should burn up quickly  The trailing one burned out after a few more seconds and the leading one continued for a number of seconds beyond that.

Tres cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment