In 1540, Francisco Vasquez de Coronado and his men reportedly bathed in what is now known as Clifton Mineral Hot Springs. But despite repeated attempts to turn the mineral springs into resort spas, the area's economic basis is copper mining. Writer Lane Rogers offers these tidbits and others, including early mountain man fur trappers finding their way to the hot springs two centuries ago, in a short piece published this week by the Arizona Capitol Times.
[right, Clifton Mineral Hot Springs Bath House, Park Avenue, Clifton, Greenlee County, AZ built in 1928. CALL NUMBER: HABS ARIZ,6-CLIFT,21- Historic American Buildings Survey URL: http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/habshaer/az/az0300/az0339/photos/180424pv.jpg Photo court)