Friday, September 03, 2010

Re-opened Gold Road mine pours its first gold bar


The Gold Road mine poured its first bar of gold this past week since reopening in 2007, according to the Kingman Daily Miner.

Suzanne Adams story tells the century-long history of the mine that previously produced 700,000 ounces of gold. From 1998 to 2007, the mine was a tourist site.

[right, Gold Road mine, looking south, in 1906. Silicified lode croppings on both sides. Photo is Plate 11-A in U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin 397, 1909]

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:59 AM

    Nice view. WHO do I contact as I have other old photos. I'd like to trade the rt 66 postcards for scans of the old ones I have miningformininginillinois

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandfather and father worked at the Goldroad mine in 1936-1937. I lived there with my,family, but was an infant and have no memory of it. My two older brothers remember living in Goldroad as children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:26 PM

    john bolder, does any one know , are they still mining , or have they run out of ore?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is some scuttlebutt on the streets, which may be what you're hearing, about the mine hitting different ore grades as they go deeper, which is not surprising. But we have no solid information as to whether its better or worse than expected.

    ReplyDelete