The AZGS-chaired EarthCube Governance Steering Committee finalized the program and schedules for initial virtual workshops to develop a 10-year roadmap for governing geoscience cyberinfrastructure. EarthCube is an NSF program between the Geoscience Directorate and the Office of Cyberinfrastructure.
AZGS is leading a coalition of 60+ organizations and institutions across the country and internationally, to develop the governance roadmap by mid-June. The 10-member Governance Steering Committee met in Denver this week to organize a series of online (virtual) workshop webinars, breakout sessions, and forums, to get broad community engagement in the process.
The Governance Workshop Steering Committee invites you to participate in the virtual workshop plenary session for outlining a Governance Roadmap for EarthCube.
Option 1: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 from 11am to 1pm EDT (8am to 10am PDT, 9am to 11am MDT, 10am to noon CDT)
Option 2: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 from 3pm to 5pm EDT (noon to 2pm PDT, 1pm to 3pm MDT, 2pm to 4pm CDT)
The session will be hosted twice in order to accommodate demanding schedules. Each session will be broadcast via WebEx live; instructions on accessing the WebEx are at the bottom of this announcement. The sessions are identical in topic and structure. Each will also be recorded and posted on Ning; however, due to the participatory nature of these sessions we encourage live participation in at least one of the events.
The sessions will be followed by virtual Focus Groups, Town Halls, Plenaries, and Workshops – depending on the needs identified during these sessions – through April and May and culminate at the June NSF EarthCube workshop.
A full agenda for this session can be found online through Google Docs (hyperlinked).
- Welcome, 5 minutes
- Purpose and Scope of the Governance Roadmap Workshop, 15 minutes
- Background and Research on Governance, 15 minutes
- Governance Examples, 10 minutes
- What are Governance Functions? 10 minutes
- Governance Use Cases/Mental Exercises, 10 minutes
- Broader Impacts & Linkages to Other Communities, 10 minutes
- How We Jumpstart the Planning Process, 10 minutes
- Community Discussion, 30 minutes +
We look forward to your participation and feedback at these plenary sessions.
From the Steering Committee:
Lee Allison, Tim Ahern, David Arctur, Jim Bowring, Gary Crane, Geoffrey Fox, Hannes Leetaru, Kerstin Lehnert, Mohan Ramamurthy, Erin Robinson, Ilya Zaslavsky
You may join the plenary by WebEx using the following instructions:
To join the online portion of the EQb Governance Roadmap Plenary:
- Click join next to the meeting name, EQb Governance Roadmap Plenary. (Note: If the meeting has not yet started, join will not be visible, and it will say 'Display Info'. Wait a minute and refresh screen)
- Enter your name and email address
- If you are asked for a password, enter the access code: 23110949 with no spaces or #.
To join the audio portion via phone:
Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada): 1-877-668-4493
Attendee access code: 23110949#